BIOS updates on SteelFin servers should be attempted only when it is determined to be necessary by an IPConfigure Support Engineer. This article serves to provide a visual aid to assist with the update process. Do not proceed to update the BIOS unless explicit instructions to do so have been provided by IPConfigure.
- A USB flash drive containing the BIOS update file, which you can find here. The update file itself which is packaged in the compressed file will have a name like "H370NWF.15d" for BIOS version 15d, as an example.
- On-site access to a mouse, monitor and keyboard connected to the server to be updated
- Connect the USB flash drive to the server
- Reboot the server and repeatedly press the "End" key to access the "Q-flash" menu
If you are unable to access Q-flash using the "End" key shortcut, use the "Delete" key to enter BIOS, then hover the mouse in the bottom-right corner of the screen to reveal a pop-up menu and select "Q-flash"
- Select "Update BIOS" to navigate to the File selection menu
- The file selection menu is split into two columns. Follow these steps to select the BIOS update file:
- Select the thumb drive in the drop-down menu below the column on the left-hand side
- If the BIOS update file is at the top level, it should now appear in the column on the right-hand side
- If the BIOS update file is in a sub folder, select the folder in the left-hand column to show its contents, then select the update file in the column on the right-hand side.
- Once the update file is selected, the file name should appear in the text box under the column on the right-hand side
- Click the red arrows on the right-hand side of the screen to proceed to the mode selection menu
- Select "Intact" mode
- The BIOS update should begin automatically, and the server will reboot once it has completed
- Confirm that the BIOS update was successful either by entering BIOS by repeatedly pressing the "Delete" key while the server is booting up or running the following command in the terminal after the server has booted up: sudo dmidecode | head